Contact Us 417-256-1025
Ozark Area Network
Horse TraderOzark Regional News Talk RadioKUKU Oldies 100KKDY 102.5KSPQ Q94 Jack FM96.9 The Fox

from the Boston Globe:

(Boston) – The FBI today released photos and video of two suspects in the deadly Boston Marathon terror bombings case, appealing to the public to help them to find them.

“Somebody out there knows these individuals,” said Richard DesLauriers, special agent in charge of the Boston FBI office. He said the two men are considered “armed and dangerous.”

DesLauriers described the two men as Suspect No. 1 and Suspect No. 2. Suspect No. 1 was wearing a dark hat. Suspect No. 2 was wearing a white hat.

The FBI said Suspect No. 2 was observed planting a bomb, leaving it in place shortly before it went off.

“Within minutes,” he said.

Asked if he knew where the suspects went, he said Suspect No. 2 had gone west on Boylston after planting the bomb. It wasn’t known where the other suspect went, he said.

He said, “As you can see, the quality of the photographs is quite good, but we will continue to work on developing additional images.”

The new details on the investigation came as President Obama visited Boston today, delivering an uplifting speech at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross and then visiting victims, their families, and hospital staff at Massachusetts General Hospital. Michelle Obama was expected to make similar visits. The president also met with hundreds of race volunteers at Cathedral High School, telling them “how proud the whole country is of you” for displaying “the best of the American spirit” in reacting to the blasts.

In Washington, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano testified today before a congressional committee that some of the video collected from near the Boston Marathon finish line had raised questions.

She said there were “individuals” the FBI would like to speak to. “I wouldn’t characterize them as ‘suspects’ under the technical term. But we need the public’s help in locating these individuals,” she said.

“The investigation is proceeding apace. This is not an NCIS episode. Sometimes you have to take time to properly put the chain together to identify the perpetrators, but everybody’s committed to seeing that that gets done in the right way,” she told Representative Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee.

Asked by McCaul if officials considered it a foreign or domestic terror plot, she said, “Right now, we can’t say one way or the other.”

Also today, an executive with the company whose battery was possibly used as a power source for at least one of the bombs said that he had reached out to Boston police and the FBI, but had not heard back.

Benjamin Mull, vice president of business development and technology with the California-based company Tenergy, said he was aghast to see pictures distributed by national news outlets of possible remnants of one of the bombs, with a Tenergy Sub-C battery attached.

The batteries are made for specialty remote-controlled cars, and they are only known among more dedicated hobbyists and enthusiasts. The company said it has produced “tens of thousands” of the batteries over the past several years.

“It’s twisted because it’s a battery we built for a toy. To have it used this way is appalling,” Mull said. “Not in a million years would I have imagined. I don’t know anything about bombs, I don’t know how this would be used or could be used.”

Mull said his company does not sell them to large retailers, like Target or Walmart. Instead, he said, his company generally markets batteries to hobbyist stores or specialty battery stores.

“We’ve contacted Boston police and the FBI and will assist in any way we can,’’ Mull said. “We have not heard back from the FBI yet.”

The Marathon Monday explo­sions killed three people and injured more than 170, many of whom were grievously maimed. On Wednesday, author­ities confirmed the identity of the third victim, Boston University graduate student Lingzi Lu, who was from China. Martin Richard, an 8-year-old from Dorchester and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, a native of Medford, were also killed.

Sixty-two people hurt in the blasts remained at Boston hospitals Wednesday evening; 12 were in critical condition.

Obama signed an emergency declaration Wednesday for Massachusetts and ordered federal aid to supplement the local response to the bombings.

During an interfaith service at the cathedral, Obama received a standing ovation and sustained applause when he said: “When the Sox, the Celtics, the Patriots, the Bruins are champions again – to the chagrin of New York and Chicago fans – the crowds will gather and watch a parade go down Boylston Street. And this time next year, on the third Monday in April, the world will return to this great American city to run harder than ever and to cheer even louder for the one hundred and eighteenth Boston marathon. Bet on it!’’

The family of Medford’s Campbell, issued a statement, saying they was devastated by the loss. “She was an incredible and loving sister, daughter, niece, granddaughter and friend. Her presence will be missed more deeply than words can express,” the statement said.

The family thanked first responders, medical professionals and others who aided Campbell and others hurt in the attack. It also thanked the public for their outpouring of support.

On Wednesday, the disclosure that a bomber was believed to have been seen on the Lord and Taylor surveillance video led to widespread media reports that a suspect was in custody, was under arrest, and was heading to US District Court in South Boston for an initial appearance.

Journalists and spectators converged on the Moakley ­courthouse, expecting a suspect to be brought in. But top law enforcement officials denied they had anyone in custody, and the courthouse was evacuated after a bomb threat. After a search of the building, employees and visitors were allowed back inside.

The Associated Press first reported at about 2 p.m. Wednesday that a suspect had been “taken into custody” and was “expected in federal court” on the South Boston waterfront. AP did not name the source of the information. CNN followed with a tweet saying “arrest made” in the case.

The Globe, relying on information provided by an official familiar with the investigation, sent out tweets and posted a story reporting that a suspect was in custody and en route to federal court. The FBI later ­issued a statement saying “no arrest has been made,” while other public officials have said no one was in custody. After further reporting, the Globe is no longer convinced that its previously reliable source had accurate information.

A 10-block area of the Back Bay remained closed to the public on Thursday as the investigation continued, city officials said. The area included Boylston Street, where the bombings occurred, and all side streets between Newbury Street and Huntington Avenue, though those thoroughfares were open, according to John Guilfoil, a spokesman for Mayor Thomas M. Menino. The area extended east to Clarendon Street, and was bounded on the west by Hereford, Dalton, and Belvidere streets.

The pieces of evidence ­recovered so far include bomb fragments, from which experts have determined that at least one bomb was fashioned from a pressure cooker stuffed with explosives laced with nails and ball-bearings.

The maker of the pressure cooker, Fagor America Inc., ­issued a statement Wednesday saying the company has been contacted by investigators and is cooperating. “Our pressure cookers . . . are not intended to be used for any other purpose other than cooking,’’ the company said.

Comments are closed.